Monday, March 3, 2014

Sound Doctrine in Music

I continue to be impressed by the selection of music at our church. There are old songs that are very good and some that are not so good. There are new songs that are almost nonsensical in their content, but I continue to be exposed to new songs (at least new to me) that have solid doctrinal content. This is amazing, considering all the “7-11” theologically shallow drivel that is being passed off as Christian music today. Here are a few excerpts:
 
 
I WILL GLORY IN MY REDEEMER

I will glory in my Redeemer
Whose priceless blood has ransomed me.
Mine was the sin that drove the bitter nails
And hung Him on that judgment tree.
 
I will glory in my Redeemer
Who crushed the power of sin and death.
My only Savior before the holy Judge
The Lamb who is my righteousness.
 
Words and music by Steve & Vikki Cook
© 2000 Sovereign Grace Worship (ASCAP)
 
 
MY JESUS FAIR
by Greg Habegger
 
My Jesus fair, was pierced by thorns,
By thorns grown from the fall.
Thus He who gave the curse was torn
To end that curse for all.
 
My Jesus kind, was torn by nails,
By nails of cruel men.
And to His cross, as grace prevailed,
God pinned my wretched sin.
 
My Jesus pure, was crushed by God,
By God, in judgment just.
The Father grieved, yet turned His rod
On Christ, made sin for us.
 
My Jesus strong, shall come to reign,
To reign in majesty -
The Lamb arose, and death is slain,
Lord, come in victory!
 
O love divine, O matchless grace -
That God should die for men!
With joyful grief I lift my praise,
Abhorring all my sin,
Adoring only Him.
 
Technically speaking, God did not actually die on the cross, because it would be impossible for God, the very source of all life, to die. However, the song does not lose any of its impact, because the One who is God died in a perfect, sinless human body, the body that was prepared for Him for that very purpose. 
 
Therefore, when He came into the world, He said:  “Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, But a body You have prepared for Me. In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin You had no pleasure. Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come — In the volume of the book it is written of Me — To do Your will, O God.’” Previously saying, “Sacrifice and offering, burnt offerings, and offerings for sin You did not desire, nor had pleasure in them” (which are offered according to the law), then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God.” He takes away the first that He may establish the second. By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. (Hebrews 10:5-10, NKJV).
 
The final one is much older, but it is of the same sound theology as the first two.
 
 
BEFORE THE THRONE OF GOD ABOVE
 
Before the throne of God above,
I have a strong and perfect plea.
A great high Priest whose Name is Love,
Who ever lives and pleads for me...


…Because the sinless Savior died,
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the just is satisfied,
To look on Him and pardon me.
 
Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM…
 
…My soul is purchased by His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God!
 
Original Words by Charitie Lees Bancroft (1841-1892), Alternate Words and Music by Vikki Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. However, since this is a blog rather than an open forum, I will determine what is and what is not posted. All comments, especially anonymous comments, will be scrutinized carefully. I will not post comments that contain profanity or are negative toward the Scriptures, God, Christianity in general, Christian schools, or the United States of America. I also will not post comments that are nothing more than generally uninformed or absurd opinions. In addition, I will not post comments that are totally irrelevant to the subject being discussed. Finally, I will not post comments that are commercial advertisements or advertisements for religious organizations which are in conflict with my biblical convictions.