Monday, April 27, 2020

The Trinity

By Ralph M. Petersen, 4/23/20

I don’t understand the doctrine of the Trinity. I cannot comprehend a triune God nor can I explain Him. But I do know that stupid analogies always fail and are heretical. God is NOT like an egg, water, a man, pie, a triangle, a three-leafed clover, or Pla-doh. Furthermore, there are lots of people who reject the doctrine of the Trinity simply because they think these analogies don't make sense. And they are right. There are no analogies that can explain the Trinity and we have no right to try to invent such nonsense.

Nor do we have the right to disbelieve the doctrine of a triune God; JUST BECAUSE WE DON'T UNDERSTAND THE TRINITY IS NO REASON TO DISBELIEVE IT.

Deuteronomy 29:29 tells us, “The secret things belong unto the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children forever.”

And this is one of those secret things. The tri-unity of God is a doctrine of special (biblical) revelation but He has NOT revealed how that can be or how we can understand it. Ours is just to take Him at His Word and believe it. No analogy can explain the Trinity because there is nothing in all of God's creation like Him. He is holy; there is none like Him.

“God Said It, I Believe It and That Settles It For Me,” was a song that was popularized in the 1970s. At first glance, it sounds good but the obvious error in the song is the phrase, “I believe it.” That seems to imply that the veracity of the declared Word of God is dependent on my belief. The better lyric would be, “God Said It and That Settles It Whether I Believe It Or Not.”

So, regarding the doctrine of the Trinity (and all other doctrines of God as He has revealed Himself in Scripture), our belief (or even our understanding) is irrelevant. There are a lot of things about Him that I don't understand. I can't comprehend eternity apart from and unaffected by time. Nor can I understand how God can exist apart from His created universe and yet inhabit His creation. Nevertheless, God’s Word is true even if no one understands it or believes it. We are not privileged to a complete understanding. All we can know about Him is what He has revealed to us in His Word. That’s it! That settles it! That’s all! End of discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. However, since this is a blog rather than an open forum, I will determine what is and what is not posted. All comments, especially anonymous comments, will be scrutinized carefully. I will not post comments that contain profanity or are negative toward the Scriptures, God, Christianity in general, Christian schools, or the United States of America. I also will not post comments that are nothing more than generally uninformed or absurd opinions. In addition, I will not post comments that are totally irrelevant to the subject being discussed. Finally, I will not post comments that are commercial advertisements or advertisements for religious organizations which are in conflict with my biblical convictions.