Saturday, June 27, 2015

A Gun's Free Will

I learned about this experiment from my friend Ralph, so I decided to try it for myself.

I took my Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special revolver out of the gun safe and placed it, along with a box of ammunition and a speed loader on my desk. I told it that it could exercise its free will and do anything it chose to do. I know it sounds unbelievable, but it just stayed where I left it. It did not even have the motivation to load itself.

I took another step and loaded it with five rounds of “Buffalo Bore” hollow point .44 Special ammunition and placed it back on my desk. I again told it to exercise its free will and do anything it wanted to do. What a lazy gun. It did nothing.

Perhaps this speaks to two issues:  1) "Gun control." The fact is that a gun is just an inanimate object. It needs an idiot attached to it to do anything evil.  2) The correct theological definition of free will:  “The freedom to act according to one’s nature.” Just as the gun could do nothing without someone acting on it, so humans cannot be made right with God by their own righteousness. We have none; that's why we need a Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. However, since this is a blog rather than an open forum, I will determine what is and what is not posted. All comments, especially anonymous comments, will be scrutinized carefully. I will not post comments that contain profanity or are negative toward the Scriptures, God, Christianity in general, Christian schools, or the United States of America. I also will not post comments that are nothing more than generally uninformed or absurd opinions. In addition, I will not post comments that are totally irrelevant to the subject being discussed. Finally, I will not post comments that are commercial advertisements or advertisements for religious organizations which are in conflict with my biblical convictions.