Tuesday, September 17, 2013

O Glorious Love!

This past Sunday, the pianist played an offertory which sounded very familiar, but I could not remember what it was at first. Then the words started coming back to me, and for a time, I almost lost it emotionally. That is because it was a song that my late wife Sue really loved, and I had an excellent soloist sing it at her memorial service back in 2001.
 
Before the service, the pastor found out I was having it sung, and he asked me not to have it right before the message, because he knew he would lose it if I did. Obviously, the song meant a great deal to him, as well.
 
Oh, Glorious Love
 
In my darkness Jesus found me;
Touched my eyes and made me see;
Broke sin’s chains that long had bound me;
Gave me life and liberty!
 
Chorus:

Oh, glorious love of Christ my Lord divine,
 That made Him stoop to save a soul like mine.
Through all my days, and then in heaven above,
My song will silence never,
I'll worship Him forever,
And praise Him for His glorious love.

 
Oh, amazing truth to ponder;
He whom angel hosts attend,
Lord of Heaven, God’s Son, what wonder;
He became the sinner’s friend!
 
Words and Music by John W. Peterson, Copyright © 1970 
 
You can hear John W. Peterson's grandson, Scott Strader, sing this song by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. However, since this is a blog rather than an open forum, I will determine what is and what is not posted. All comments, especially anonymous comments, will be scrutinized carefully. I will not post comments that contain profanity or are negative toward the Scriptures, God, Christianity in general, Christian schools, or the United States of America. I also will not post comments that are nothing more than generally uninformed or absurd opinions. In addition, I will not post comments that are totally irrelevant to the subject being discussed. Finally, I will not post comments that are commercial advertisements or advertisements for religious organizations which are in conflict with my biblical convictions.