Monday, August 20, 2012

Jesus Paid It All

In our evening service this past Sunday, we sang a song I had not heard in quite some time, and it brought back fond memories. The song, "Jesus Paid It All," was written in 1865 by Elvina M. Hall. Following are some excerpts:

For nothing good have I
Whereby Thy grace to claim.
I'll wash my garments white
In the blood of Calvary's Lamb.

And when before thy throne
I stand in Him complete,
"Jesus died my soul to save,"
My lips shall still repeat.

Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe.
Sin had left a crimson stain.
He washed it white as snow.

When I think of this marvelous truth, I am blessed. Sin left me stained beyond human remedy. I have nothing good to offer Him in order to be worthy of His grace. Jesus paid everything for me. I owe Him everything. Only by the blood of Christ can I be washed clean.

“Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the Lord, “Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool" (Isaiah 1:18, NKJV).

I then have to greatly rejoice in the truth expressed by the words, "Jesus died my soul to save." Why did He die? He died to save me. He didn't die just to make my salvation possible, but he died to save me.

And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:21, NKJV).

“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep” (John 10:11, NKJV).

Even though I have personalized this, I rejoice that all who trust Christ can take great comfort in this tremendous truth.

2 comments:

  1. There are some really great hymns with powerful doctrine in those archaic things called hymnbooks. Something you don't experience often in "whoop-de-do" services with "Jesus is my girlfriend" seven-eleven songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ralph: I agree. Some of the old hymns have tremendous meaning. Here is another one our pianist played during the prelude:

    Though the way seems straight and narrow,
    All I claimed was swept away;
    My ambitions, plans and wishes,
    At my feet in ashes lay.

    I will praise Him! I will praise Him!
    Praise the Lamb for sinners slain;
    Give Him glory, all ye people,
    For His blood can wash away each stain.

    GREAT STUFF!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments. However, since this is a blog rather than an open forum, I will determine what is and what is not posted. All comments, especially anonymous comments, will be scrutinized carefully. I will not post comments that contain profanity or are negative toward the Scriptures, God, Christianity in general, Christian schools, or the United States of America. I also will not post comments that are nothing more than generally uninformed or absurd opinions. In addition, I will not post comments that are totally irrelevant to the subject being discussed. Finally, I will not post comments that are commercial advertisements or advertisements for religious organizations which are in conflict with my biblical convictions.