Monday, April 26, 2010

"But, there are too many hypocrites..."

One of the excuses so frequently offered by unbelievers for not coming to Christ is that “there are too many hypocrites in the church.” Surely no one really thinks such an excuse will stand up at the Great White Throne Judgment. God will not hold anyone accountable for someone else’s sin, and He certainly will not excuse unbelief on the basis of someone else’s hypocrisy.

The truth is that all human beings are hypocrites from time to time. All of us, other than the one perfect man, the God-man, our Savior, The Lord Jesus Christ, are sometimes guilty of saying one thing and doing another. I am actually glad there are hypocrites, and therefore sinners, in the Body of Christ. Otherwise, we would all be left out. I can only express my gratitude that I am a sinner saved by the grace of God instead of a sinner self-condemned in unbelief.

I recently saw a very thought-provoking statement – “When you let a hypocrite stand between you and God, the hypocrite is closer to God than you are.” How true.

1 comment:

  1. True, but if I can blame it on someone else then I am not responsible... Sadly, I have heard my own brother speak these very words.

    Thank God for mercy and grace.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments. However, since this is a blog rather than an open forum, I will determine what is and what is not posted. All comments, especially anonymous comments, will be scrutinized carefully. I will not post comments that contain profanity or are negative toward the Scriptures, God, Christianity in general, Christian schools, or the United States of America. I also will not post comments that are nothing more than generally uninformed or absurd opinions. In addition, I will not post comments that are totally irrelevant to the subject being discussed. Finally, I will not post comments that are commercial advertisements or advertisements for religious organizations which are in conflict with my biblical convictions.